Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Garden Thread
How are the gardens going?

Anyone doing things a bit different this year?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
*** Do Something!! *****

How much pork can a pack pig pack if a pack pig could pack pork? - AmmoSgt
I toured the Jefferson Estate at monticello va... they had some veggies there that go back to Jefferson day.. I really wanted to acquire some authentic Jefferson horseradish.

*** Do Something!! *****

That would be awesome to get some "authentic Jefferson horseradish". I haven't put in a garden for the last two years because of certain issues and it really bothered me. So this year I will try to at least put in a basic simple garden of tomatoes, carrots, onions and perhaps some corn. Don't want to over do it.
North East, Quad #2

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

When I was a young lad my parents asked me what I wanted to be when/if I grew up.
My response, " A DICHOTOMY".

Mission Accomplished !
I am looking at my second year for the hardy kiwi. Really expecting them to take off this year. (Supposedly a few years before fruit production starts.)

*** Do Something!! *****

I still have my little ~15' x 6' plot next to the house, and will probably stick with the same plan as previous years. One row starts with sugar snap peas in spring, then changes over in summer to asian 'bitter melon' which likes the head. The other row typically is half tomatoes, with the other half being peppers or eggplant. I have a spot in the corner which has scallions, which are perennial and require no care.

I also have a rhubarb plant which has given me ice cream toppings the past couple years. I am worried about the rhubarb plant though, as it was doing poorly the end of last year. There were a bunch of tunnel mouths all around the base of the plant which looked appropriately sized for mice/chipmunk sized critters. Does anyone have an inkling what might be going on here, and what I should do about it?
Planted 250 asparagus roots last year. I was tired of having eaten them all before I walked back into the house to cook them. And could never get a handful to throw on the grill. Thusly 250 planted here and there with 4 different varieties. A bunch are shooting up even a few big enough to harvest. (Usually expect to wait 2-3 years for them to get established before doing any heavy harvesting

*** Do Something!! *****

Also getting excited for the Polk weed shoots.

*** Do Something!! *****