Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pears
08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Pears
I(or rather we) picked about 275 lbs of pears from the tree yesterday... Still a lot up high I couldn't quite reach. Not sure what variety they are but definitely a canning type as they are pretty hard yet. That ended up filling 4-1/4 feed sacks and 3 medium boxes as well as 2-1/2 sacks of "seconds" for the animals.... I have them in a cool dark place now.. I'll check them in a week to see if they have ripened.
Anyone have an idea what variety they are?.. I've looked around and found some close but not exactly the same as these. Also, I have found out while researching the variety I have that pears actually ripen best after picking. So these are still pretty hard but I don't see how they could get any bigger then they are. Most are between baseball and softball size. They are already very juicy and sweet when you cut into them. I also learned that they are ready to pick when the area near the stem begins to soften slightly which these have. They started falling from the tree in the last 2 weeks and I have been feeding the windfalls from them to the pigs. In fact the horse seems to enjoy them as well..
I intend to can a lot of these but since they are so sweet and juicy I might try to make pearsauce the same as I usually make applesauce as the taste of these are very close to apples..
Maybe someone here knows the variety?.. Not all are pear shaped, rough skin, "apple" green with reddish areas...

NW Quad #1
"You cannot conquer an idea with an army." Thomas Paine
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013, 03:31 PM
RE: Pears
Bartlett is my guess but also could be Green Anjou.
http://pears.usapears.org/fileData/image...snames.jpg

Bartletts are amazingly good!
08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
To avoid having pears up out of reach is why my grandfather trims the trees on his farm around 12' max. He also trims the bunches of pears to get fewer, but larger, pears that sell better rather than more numerous but smaller pears.
08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
my vote pear wine. just sayin

NE QUAD 2
08-26-2013, 08:40 PM
(08-26-2013 03:31 PM)Shar Wrote:  Bartlett is my guess but also could be Green Anjou.

I don't think so the shape is more round then the typical pear shape and the rusty color doesn't look right.. The Anjous might be it, though. I looked at them after you posted and they look most like what I have..

(08-26-2013 04:03 PM)Wanderer Wrote:  To avoid having pears up out of reach is why my grandfather trims the trees on his farm around 12' max. He also trims the bunches of pears to get fewer, but larger, pears that sell better rather than more numerous but smaller pears.
This was an existing tree when we moved here last year. I do usually try to keep fruit trees in the 12 - 15 foot range.. I think this tree has been here for a really long time.

(08-26-2013 07:20 PM)tbvmax Wrote:  my vote pear wine. just sayin

I might use our seconds from this pick for that once they ripen a bit more.. Been curious about that. I've made it from wild concord type grapes a few years ago and it was pretty good. I also made some from the left overs of making apple sauce. I used the skins and cores to extract the juice. Came out pretty good.. Actually it was really strong..lol

NW Quad #1
08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
These look like mine, and I think they are a green Anjou, or a close cousin. The tree is quite prolific, producing bushels of fruit every year. In addition to pear sauce and pear butter and pear preserves, I also dry the ripened ones, making a yummy on-the-go snack. Our absolute favorite though is to can them as spiced pears. I make a simple syrup and throw in a bag of cinnamon red hot candies. When the candies dissolve, I poach the peeled pears until they are heated through. Pack in jars, cover with poaching syrup and process for 25 minutes for a quart. I haven't tried it yet, but you might look into making perry...sort of a pear cider.

(08-26-2013 08:40 PM)Bigdtc Wrote:  
(08-26-2013 03:31 PM)Shar Wrote:  Bartlett is my guess but also could be Green Anjou.

I don't think so the shape is more round then the typical pear shape and the rusty color doesn't look right.. The Anjous might be it, though. I looked at them after you posted and they look most like what I have..

(08-26-2013 04:03 PM)Wanderer Wrote:  To avoid having pears up out of reach is why my grandfather trims the trees on his farm around 12' max. He also trims the bunches of pears to get fewer, but larger, pears that sell better rather than more numerous but smaller pears.
This was an existing tree when we moved here last year. I do usually try to keep fruit trees in the 12 - 15 foot range.. I think this tree has been here for a really long time.

(08-26-2013 07:20 PM)tbvmax Wrote:  my vote pear wine. just sayin

I might use our seconds from this pick for that once they ripen a bit more.. Been curious about that. I've made it from wild concord type grapes a few years ago and it was pretty good. I also made some from the left overs of making apple sauce. I used the skins and cores to extract the juice. Came out pretty good.. Actually it was really strong..lol
08-26-2013, 09:30 PM
@ Microo... Do you pick them then wait a while to process them or tree ripen?

NW Quad #1
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I mostly process the ones that fall off the tree...meaning I'm doing something with pears every couple of days. by the time they fall, they are ripe and ready. I only bother picking when close to the end of production just to get it over with!
08-27-2013, 07:26 AM
That's a lotta pears!

Escaped to South Carolina

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." Thomas Jefferson
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Just a couple...

Be strong enough to stand alone.
Be yourself enough to stand apart.
But be wise enough to stand together when the time comes.