07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
FEMA Wood Gasifier plans
http://www.ghp-books.com/snb98hgt7q6a1/F...erator.pdf

Thought some of you would enjoy this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 02:35 AM
RE: FEMA Wood Gasifier plans
Thanks, Zombiehunter. Could you duplicate the link in this http://mdpreparedness.com/forum/showthre...=54&page=2
Section?

"Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire; a dangerous servant and a terrible master."
-- George Washington

Quad #2
08-01-2011, 04:49 AM
this is awesome ZH, thanks

If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.
08-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Nice find!

NW Quad #1
"You cannot conquer an idea with an army." Thomas Paine
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I actually had time to read through the PDF today. It looks completely doable in the event of catastrophic SHTF. I'd really like to set one up to run a generator. Are most gensets carburated?

Glad it's useful to everyone Smile
08-01-2011, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 10:16 AM by kohburn.)
I wonder if there is a way to "pressurize" the output enough to run a propane or natural gas boiler or other appliance.

the pressure for propane is generally 8-10" wc which is about .29-.36 psi not sure about natural gas but it seems as though it is generally 3.5-5.5" wc or .13-.2 psi

so some fan or small pump that can create that low pressure for feeding a boiler/stove/etc.

Coastal Carolina
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Be careful with the FEMA plans, I have read several places that while it is good for a quick start, for long term use it creates too much tar and will eventually clog whatever is being fed.

Best explanation for basics, plus the have plans and kits (the plans are currently inaccessable).

http://gekgasifier.com/gasification-basics/

Kohburn,

I believe it is pressurized to a point, but unsure of the level.

DB

Central Quad #3

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2011 02:10 PM by kohburn.)
i've seen a different setup that kept the heat source seperate from thr gasification wood. i imagine this method would eliminate the tar as well as pressurizing the offgas.

The fema plans are specificly a "downdraft" gasifier, there are others. the one made on the first season of The Colony used seperate chambers and ran their generator.

Coastal Carolina
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I thought the FEMA plans included a cooling chamber and a filter to get rid of stray ash and tar. Maybe I misunderstood (completely likely)
08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
(08-01-2011 04:33 PM)zombiehunter Wrote:  I thought the FEMA plans included a cooling chamber and a filter to get rid of stray ash and tar. Maybe I misunderstood (completely likely)

"The FEMA unit from 1989 has distinct benefits over the earlier European units such as easier refueling and construction but is less popular than the earlier Imbert design because of significant new problems, which include a lack of a fixed oxidization zone and allows the oxidization zone to creep to a larger area, causing a drop in temperature; a lower operating temperature leads to tar production and it lacks a true reduction zone further increasing this design's propensity to produce tar. Tar in the wood gas stream is considered a dirty gas and tar will gum up a motor quickly, possibly leading to stuck valves, and rings."

Quoted from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

I have also read this about the FEMA design in several other locations.

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I keep trying to read everything I can on the subject.

And as some folks have pointed out in other threads, it is FEMA, which is the government, so how "helpful" are they trying to be?

DB

Central Quad #3

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen commrade